YONGE STREET MONTHLY MEETING
NEWS SHEET: May 2016
Address: 17030 Yonge Street, Newmarket, ON
MEETING FOR WORSHIP: Sundays at 10:30 AM
All are welcome.
First Day School is available on request during Meeting
for Worship every Sunday. Contact Sherita.
Tuesday Daytime Worship Sharing, 1:00 PM The current book is “Seat of the Soul” by Gary Zukav. New participants are invited. Contact Marie for details.
Mid-Week Meeting: held Wednesday evenings at 7:30 PM. All are welcome.
Highlights from Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business, April 24:
• Peace, Environment, Social Action Committee (PESAC) presented its updated mandate and report on current activities. The mandate will be reviewed at the May Meeting for Business.
• Yonge Street Meeting’s State of Society Report was read – it will now be sent to Half Yearly Meeting and CYM Documents in Advance.
• YSMM Retreat: we received the notes and the six clustered topics. The full set of notes has been distributed, but contact Barbara if you have not received them. Marilyn, Gini and Jeff are going to plan the first follow up session. Watch for details
• Accessibility Project: The building permits have been submitted and Hawkey is waiting for their approval.
During April, great progress was made in reaching our goal of $319,038
• Canadian Yearly Meeting’s Meeting House Fund is providing a grant of $52,000, with possibility of a loan, if needed.
• A crowdfunding campaign has been started, on “This Place Matters” The goal is to raise $15,000 by June 11. You can help by sharing the website with your friends, and making your own contribution. https://thisplacematters.ca
• With new donations, the total, as of April 24, is $291,253
• Help close the gap of $27,785. This is do-able!!!
• Donations can be sent through e-transfer to email@example.com or by cheque, made out to “Yonge Street Monthly Meeting” and mailed to the address, below.
May 15: Pot Luck Lunch: after Meeting for Worship. Everyone is welcome – bring your favourite lunch dish to share, or just yourself. Everyone is welcome to stay
June 3 – 5 Yonge Street Half Yearly Meeting at Camp NeeKauNis. The registration package is now available. The theme is “Truth and Reconciliation Process: From Inquiry to Testimony and Action.” Jenn Preston is the presenter. There is a children’s program concurrent with the adult program. Early registrations are due by May 8; final registrations due May 22. Friends can attend for all or part of the weekend.
June 11: Granaurora Tea and more. Fundraiser for the Stephen Lewis Grandmothers Campaign in Africa. Tea, plus crafts, jewellery toys and prizes. 2:00 – 4:00 PM at St. Andrew’s Church, 32 Mosley St., Aurora. $25.00 for tickets, contact Kate at 905-726-4125, Pat at 905-830-4975 or firstname.lastname@example.org
August 5 – 13: Canadian Yearly Meeting in Session at Augustana Campus, University of Alberta, in Camrose. Watch for the registration information, to arrive this month, along with the new issue of Canadian Friend.
Other news: July 3 – 9 Friends General Conference: (FGC) Gathering
Theme: Be Humble, Be Faithful, Be BOLD Taste the vibrancy and the variety that is available by immersing yourself in this community of Friends for a week at the College of St. Benedict, St. Joseph, Minnesota. For details, see http://www.fgcquaker.org/connect/gathering
For an electronic copy of any of the materials mentioned, above, please contact email@example.com